Alphabetical list of Jewish historical sites in Warsaw:

A    B    C    D
G    J    K    L
M   N   O    P 
S
    T   W   
Z

 

A

Jerozolimskie Avenue

Anielewicza st.

 

 

 

Jerozolimskie Avenue
In 1768 the Jews were granted the right to settle freely in Mazovia, excluding Warsaw. In 1774 beyond the western tollgates of the city, near today's Zawiszy Square, Józef Potocki and August Sułkowski created settlements for Jews on their land, called Nowy Potok and Nowa Jerozolima. The Warsaw authorities considered them trade competition and just a year later banned the settlements, but the road leading to the Vistula River and its name remain to this day.

 

 

 

Jerozolimskie Av.
M. Anielewicza Street  
(formerly Gęsia)

Mordechaj Anielewicz (1919-1943), the leader of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. The new street, laid out along old Gęsia Street, one of the most important in Jewish Warsaw, was the road that all the funeral processions took on their way to the Jewish Cemetery. It was not a particularly interesting street, because on the right side north of Zamenhofa Street was a prison. A post office was created for the ghetto in the corner building of the former Horse Artillery Barracks (19 Zamenhofa St.), and after August 1942 the Judenrat for the remains of the ghetto was here as well. It burned during the Uprising in May 1943 and was completely demolished after 1960. The Museum of the History of the Polish Jews should be built on this site in the next few years. A prison was found at number 24, where Jews from the ghetto were held, mainly for illegally crossing to the "Arian side."

 

 

Mordechaj Anielewicz
34 Anielewicza Street
 The Nazis set up the Gęsiówka concentration camp on the ruins of the ghetto in September 1943. Some 5,000 Jews from Greece, France and Hungary, brought from Auschwitz, were housed in the barracks. They worked on the site of the ghetto, tearing down burnt-out buildings, and sorting bricks and non-ferrous metals. The camp was evacuated on July 29, 1944. Only 348 prisoners remained, who were liberated during the Warsaw Uprising on Aug. 4, 1944 by soldiers of the Zo¶ka Battalion, Radosław Concentration of the Home Army. Many of them joined Home Army divisions and were killed in the Warsaw Uprising. A granite tablet in Polish and Hebrew on the wall of an apartment block informs of this today.
pogrzeb rabina Abrahama Perlemuttera