Alphabetical list of Jewish historical sites in Warsaw:

A    B    C    D
G    J    K    L
M   N   O    P 
S
    T   W   
Z

 

G

Gibalskiego st.

Górczewska st.

Grójecka st

Grzybowski sq.

Grzybowska st.

 

 

 

21 E. Gibalskiego Street
The prewar Skra Sports Club playing field was in the ghetto. Initially it served as a place to grow vegetables for the starving inmates of the ghetto. In 1941 it became a mass grave for the corpses of Jews collected on the streets of the ghetto. After the ghetto was liquidated and during the Warsaw Uprising it was an execution ground. After the war, the remains of 6,588 Jews were transferred to the Warsaw Uprising Cemetery (174/176 Wolska St.). 

 

 

Gravesplaque on the Warsaw Uprising Cemetery
A monument, by T. Szumielewicz and M. Martens, was unveiled on the site of another mass grave in 1988, funded by the City of Warsaw and the Nissenbaum Family Foundation.

 

 

 

 

Monument on the Gibalskiego str.
15 Górczewska Street
In the gateway of one of these three buildings is a tablet with the inscription: "To Hipolit and Ludwika Wawelberg, the patrons of the Affordable Housing institution on the 25th anniversary of its founding, 1898-1923." The well-known Warsaw banker, Hipolit Wawelberg (1844-1901) was a spokesman for brotherly coexistence between Catholic and Jewish Poles. In 1895 he founded a mechanical-technical school and was one of the founders of the Museum of Industry and Trade.  He donated significant sums for the Mickiewicz Monument in Warsaw. 
He initiated an affordable edition of Adam Mickiewicz's works and those of other distinguished Polish writers. 
Górczewska str.
The Wawelberg's second residential development was built in 1927-29 at 1 Ludwiki St.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The commemorative table
77 Grójecka Street
On the wall of the little shops built in place of the Wolski Gardens is a bronze plaque reading: "In this place was a dugout in which the Wolski family, local gardeners, concealed from 1942-44 40 Jews, escapees from the Warsaw Ghetto. Among them was famous historian, Dr. Emanuel Ringelblum, a scholar of the history of the Polish Jews, and organizer of the secret ghetto archives. In March 1944, after betrayal of the dugout, the Nazis murdered all the Jews hidden in it and their caretakers."
A street in the Koło district between Deotymy and Czorsztyńska streets was named after Emanuel Ringelblum.

 

 

Dr. Emanuel Ringelblum
3/5 Grzybowski Square  
(All Saints' Church)

Two churches were within ghetto limits, serving Christians of Jewish descent: All Saints Church and the Church of the Annuciation on Leszno Street (now Solidarności Avenue). Some of the residents of the parish house were brilliant immunologist Prof. Ludwik Hirszfeld and Ludwik Zamenhof-Zaleski, the grandson of Ludwik Zamenhof - the inventor of Esperanto.

 

 

The wall of the ghetto
12/16 Grzybowski Square  
(the Kamińska Jewish Theater)

The theater was built in 1969 to a design by B. Pniewski and K. Jotkiewicz. It houses the Ester Rachel Kamińska Jewish Theater (tel. +48 22 620-6281) which presents plays in Yiddish, the Headquarters and the Warsaw branch of the Social and Cultural Association of Jews in Poland (TSKŻ), the TSKŻ club, the Polish-Yiddish journal Słowo Żydowskie/ Dos Jidisze Wort (The Yiddish Word, tel. 620-0549), and the American-Polish-Israeli Shalom Foundation (tel. 620-3036).

 

 

Jewish Theater
Corner of Grzybowska Street and Jana Pawła II Street
In this spot, opposite today's Mercure Hotel, was the Warsaw Jewish Community's headquarters. Built ca. 1892, it housed the Community office and the Jewish Museum. Training workshops were erected next door in 1901, where poor Jewish youth could learn a trade. During the war the building served as headquarters for the Judenrat. It was here on July 23, 1942 that chairman Adam Czerniaków committed suicide. Burned during the Warsaw Uprising, the building was torn down in the 1950s.
Warsaw Jewish Community's headquarters