Alphabetical list of Jewish historical sites in Warsaw:

A    B    C    D
G    J    K    L
M   N   O    P 
S
    T   W   
Z

 

J

Jagielońska st.

Jaktorowska st.

Joselewicza st.

 

 

 

28 Jagiellońska Street  
(Education Building)

The inscription has survived on the pediment: "Michał Bergson Education Building of the Warsaw Jewish Community." The building was built in 1911-14, designed by Henryk Stifelman and Stanisł±w Weis, thanks to the initiative of Michał Bergson (1831-1919), president of the Jewish Community and great grandson of Szmul Zbykower. The building housed a school, a nursery and a shelter for Jewish children. In 1940 everyone was moved to the Warsaw Ghetto. After the war, schools of the Province Jewish Committee in Poland were here. The Baj Puppet Theater moved into a former prayer hall in 1953, and preschools, a health clinic and private apartments took the rest.

 

 

1. Education Building, 2. The commemorative table
6 Jaktorowska Street  
(Janusz Korczak Orphanage, 92 Krochmalna St., now Children's Home No. 6)

In the years 1911-13 the Orphans Aid Society built a three-story building on city outskirts, designed by Henryk Stifelman, for Jewish orphans. From the start the brilliant pedogogue, writer and doctor Janusz Korczak (Henryk Goldsmith) was its head. Once the ghetto was forms, the Orphanage was moved to 33 Chłodna St., later to 9 ¦liska St. (now Defilad Square). From there the children and their caretaker were driven to Umschlagplatz on Aug. 6, 1942 and transported to the Triblinka death camp. 
A bust of Janusz Korczak, by the distinguished sculptor K. Dunikowski, was placed before the building in 1979. A street in the Wola district features J. Korczak's name. A memorial stone was placed in front of Władysław IV High School, the successor to the one J. Korczak once attended.

 

 

1. Janusz Korczak, 2. Janusz Korczak monument
Berka Joselewicza Street 
(from Lubelska to Bliska Street)

On Nov. 4, 1794 the Russian army, under Marshal Suvarov, captured Praga and began a massacre of the populace. A Jewish division, under the command of Berek Joselewicz, took part in the defense of Praga. Most of Joselewicz's soldiers died in the trenches dug in the recently established Jewish cemetery. According to legend, the wealthy merchant, banker to King Stanisław August Poniatowski, leader of the Jewish Community, announced that anyone finding a dead soldier would get a silver ruble from him, and a gold ducat for bringing in a wounded soldier, whether a Jew or a Christian. Prayers were recited in Praga synagogues on the anniversary of the Praga slaughter. The metal goods factory of Józef Rosenthal, built in 1904, and converted by the Lejzorowicz brothers in 1919 into a tannery, survives on this little street.
Berek Joselewicz