Alphabetical list of Jewish historical sites in Warsaw:

A    B    C    D
G    J    K    L
M   N   O    P 
S
    T   W   
Z

 

K

Karmelicka st.

Kasprzaka st.

Kłopotowskiego st.

Kopernika st.

 

 

 

2B Karmelicka Street  
(formerly 10)

On the wall of an apartment building, on the site of destroyed houses and one of the main streets of the ghetto, is a plaque donated by the family of J. Stroop, the butcher of the Warsaw Ghetto: "In this place in the years 1736-1943 stood the Protestant Hospital. It was always a refuge of charity, humanity and faith in the days when the Nazi death sentence was carried out. Faithful to its mission, it rescued Jewish people from the perishing ghetto. This plaque commemorates the courage, goodness and honesty of those who remained faithful to God and man in the darkest hours of the war. It was donated in honor of the brotherhood and community in suffering with the Jews who the world could not save. - The Protestant Hospital in Warsaw Foundation, the city of Detmold, the county and Protestant church of Lippe, and the Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Warsaw."

 

 

The tramway in the ghetto
17 M. Kasprzaka Street  
(Jewish Hospital in Czyste, now Wola Hospital)
In 1902 a new Jewish hospital was completed on Dworska Street. It had 1,174 beds in six wards. It was considered one of the most modern medical centers in the city. Once the ghetto was created, the hospital was outside its boundaries. Individual wards were moved to various parts of the ghetto. The Holy Spirit Hospital was moved into its buildings, and after the war - the Municipal Hospital and the Mother and Child Institute.

 

 

1. Wola Hospital, 2. Jewish Hospital in Czyste
31 ks. Kłopotowskiego Street
(formerly Szeroka Street, mikvah)

Out of the entire Jewish Community complex, only a mid-19th-century mikvah (ritual bathhouse) survives. It was remodeled ca. 1910 due to its dilapidated state by Naum Hornstein, an engineer invited from Berlin. After the war it was rebuilt. It housed the office of the Central Jewish Committee, later a preschool, and since 1991, Community High School No. 3. Tiny traces remain of the bathhouse chambers.

 

 

The mikvah
4 M. Kopernika Street, Apt. 21
A plaque was mounted on the front wall of this building in 1989: "In this building is a purpose-built hiding place, in which a family of Polish Jews, mother, son and daughter-in-law, hid from the Nazis. The survivors, Leon and Anna Joselzon (Jolsen), commemorate this place for future generations."
1. Kopernika str., 2. The hiding place