of Jewish historical sites in Warsaw:
A B C D
G J K L
M N O P
S T W Z
|50/52 Targowa Street
This is the oldest masonry residential building in Praga, built by Mr Rothblit in 1819. Before 1839 it held a Jewish elementary
school, and three houses of prayer in the courtyard, which were used as storerooms after the war. Fragments of wall paintings depicting signs of the
zodiac, the Wailing Wall and Rachel's Tomb survive in two of them. There is an inscription in Hebrew on one of the
walls, noting that the wall paintings were funded with donations from Dawid Grinsztajn's sons in 1934.
|7 Tłomackie Street
(the Great Synagogue,
now the Blue Tower on Bankowy Square)
The Great Synagogue was built in 1875-78 to a design by L. Marconi and became a symbol of Jewish
Warsaw. Here celebratory services were held on national holidays and world-famous cantors
sang. It was closed in January 1940, like all other Jewish houses of
prayer. It was reopened on June 14, 1941 and then closed again in March 1942 when it and the neighboring library building were put outside ghetto
limits. It was then used as a storehouse for furniture looted from the Jewish
Quarter. After a month of fighting the Ghetto Uprising, General Jürgen Stroop decided that the symbol of his victory would be the destruction of the
synagogue. This was carried out on May 16, 1943 at 8:15 p.m.
|3/5 Tłomackie Street
now the Jewish Historical Institute)
This building was erected in 1928-36, designed by Edward Eber, as the library of the Great
Synagogue. It also housed the Judaic Studies Institute, where scholars of the caliber of Majer Bałaban, Mojżesz Schor and Ignacy Schiper
lectured. The building was within the ghetto during the war and housed the offices of the Jewish Mutual Aid
Society. Emanuel Ringelblum, who worked here, created an underground archive of the
ghetto. In 1947, following restoration, the building became the headquarters of the Jewish Historical
Institute. It has extensive art, archival document and photographic
collections. Its greatest treasure is the recovered Ringelblum
Archives. The art collections are on displayed in the permanent
exhibitions: "The Warsaw Ghetto" and "The Gallery of Jewish Art." The institute's temporary exhibition
gallery, and a Jewish-theme bookstore are found next door in the so-called Blue
Tower, on the site of the Great Synagogue.
| Exhibitions are open Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m.-4 p.m., and until 6
p.m. on Thursdays. Tel.
(+48 22) 8279221.
|6 Twarda Street
Built in 1989-1902 as a private prayer house by Zelman and Rywka Nożyk, it was later given to the Warsaw Jewish
Community. Of the hundreds of prayer houses in Warsaw before the war, it is the only surviving synagogue still in
use. In the 1970s a building was added to the east side which houses the offices of the Warsaw Jewish Community and the Union of Jewish Communities in
Poland. The synagogue is open for sightseeing everyday except Saturday
(+48 22) 6204324.
|6 Twarda Street
One of the few surviving buildings on this street. In the
inter-war period it contained many Jewish institutes and the
Jewish Community out-patient clinic. Fragments of a sign remain in
the first stairwell in Polish, Hebrew and Yiddish, informing of
the existence of the clinic. Documents found of the families
who lived in this building, in the ghetto, until their deportation
in July 1942, are displayed in the central stairwell.
|The building currently houses: the Jewish
Community cafeteria, the Betejn Seniors Club, the
Children of the Holocaust Association (tel. (+48 22) 6208245), the Jewish
Combatant Association (tel. 6206211), the Jewish Cultural
Education Center (tel. 6543160), the Ronald Lauder Foundation
(tel. 6203496), Midrasz monthly (tel. 6543155), Our
Roots Travel Agency (tel. 6200556), Shalom Travel (tel.
6522804), and the Polish Union of Jewish Students (tel.