Alphabetical list of Jewish historical sites in Warsaw:

A    B    C    D
G    J    K    L
M   N   O    P 
S
    T   W   
Z

 

W

Waliców st.

Wawelberga st.

św. Wincentego st.

Wolska st.

 

 

 

 

Waliców Street
Just three buildings have survived, on the east side of this street. Before the war, well-known Jewish journalist and photographer, Menachem Kipnis lived at number 14, and during the war, poet Władysław Szlengel lived out the back. His verse were read at the Sztuka (Art) Cafe in the ghetto, and typewritten copies were passed from hand to hand. The poet died in April 1943, in Szymon Kac's bunker at 36 Świętojerska St. After the liquidation of the "little" ghetto in 1943, a group of Jews hid here, among them Dr. Edward Reicher. The fragment of number 11 on the west side of the street served as a ghetto wall, as a plaque informs us.

 

 

Waliców str.
10 H. Wawelberga Street 
(Old Folks Home, Moshav Zekenim, formerly 9 Górczewska Street)

The building dates from 1928 and was designed by Henryk Stifelman for old Jewish intelligentsia. The building, renovated by the Lauder Foundation, now houses the Lauder-Morasha (Hebrew for 'Heritage') Private Elementary and Junior High School.

 

 

 

Old Folks Home
św. Wincentego Street  
(Jewish Cemetery)

It was established in 1780 by Szmul Zbytkower (d. 1802) on the lands of Golędzinów, a ancestral royal town, purchased from the treasury. Michał Poniatowski, the bishop of Płock, granted permission for the burial of the dead here and stipulated that the Jews had to bring ten stone of tallow each year on St. John's Day to the parish church in Skaryszew. Szmul Zbytkower was buried here; unfortunately his grave was destroyed during the war. His memory is maintained in the name of the district around Białostocka and Kawęczyńska streets: Szmulowizna. Also resting in this cemetery is the brilliant scholar Abraham Stern (1768-1842), a member of the Society of the Friends of the Sciences, and grandfather of poet Antoni Słonimski. After the Praga and Warsaw Jewish Communities united in 1870, the cemetery became the main burial ground for poor Jews. During the Nazi occupation the wall around it was destroyed, and some of the tombstones used as street paving. The remaining graves were destroyed after the war, in 1946-47, and piled in the middle of the cemetery. In 1982 the Nissenbaum Family Foundation gave it a new wall and a main entrance was constructed on the św. Wincentego Street side. Its pillars are adorned with reliefs by D. Kowalski, T. Patuszek and L. Waszkiewicz, depicting the cemetery's history.

 

 

Jewish Cemetery
174/176 Wolska Street 
(Warsaw Uprising Cemetery)

After the war, the remains of 6,588 Jews murdered in the ghetto were transferred to the Warsaw Uprising Cemetery. In 1988 a monument by Szumielewicz and Martens was unveiled on the mass grave, funded by the Municipal Authorities and the Nissenbaum Family Foundation.