Alphabetical list of Jewish historical sites in Warsaw:

A    B    C    D
G    J    K    L
M   N   O    P 
S
    T   W   
Z

 

Z

Zamenhofa st.

Z±bkowska st.

Żelazna st.

 

 

 

 

5 L. Zamenhofa Street
In the place where the ophthalmologist and inventor of the Esperanto international language, Ludwik Zamenhof, lived before the First World War is a memorial plaque. In 1930 the street's name was changed from Dzika to Zamenhofa.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ludwik Zamenhof
Corner of L. Zamenhofa and Anielewicz streets  
(Monument to the Ghetto Heroes)
On the fifth anniversary of the outbreak of the Ghetto Uprising, April 19, 1948, a monument by Natan Rapaport was unveiled. On the west side is a sculpture symbolizing battle, and on the east is a relief depicting the martyrdom of the Jewish people. The Swedish labradorite stone was originally ordered by the Nazis for their planned monuments to the Third Reich's victory, and was purchased by Jewish organizations after the war. Nearby is an older monument from 1946 by architect Leon Marek Suzin. On a tablet of red granite, reminiscent of a sewer manhole, is an inscription in Polish, Yiddish and Hebrew: "To those who fell in the unprecedented heroic battle for the dignity and freedom of the Jewish people, for a free Poland and for man's liberation. From the Polish Jews."

 

 

Monument to the Ghetto Heroes
11 Z±bkowska Street
After the fire of 1868, Iccak Hersz Jahrman replaced his wooden building with a masonry one. In the courtyard, on the first floor in apartment number 27, was a beit midrash or prayer room. During the war and afterward it served as a carpenter's shop. No elements remained to indicate its original character. In prewar Warsaw there were over 400 such prayer rooms in private buildings, which were not subject to the Warsaw Jewish Community.

 

 

Z±bkowska str.
57 Żelazna Street  
(House of Religious Studies)

A fragment of a house belonging from 1864 to Izaak Majer Alter, a tzaddik from Góra Kalwaria, survives in the courtyard of this apartment block. He established a yeshiva in this building, where he gave instruction in the Torah and Talmud. There are plans to mark this place with a plaque and a prayer room.

 

 

Fragment of the House of Religious Studies
103 Żelazna Street
A plaque here reads: "Honor to their memory. In the cellars of this house in 1943 the Gestapo tortured to death thousands of Jews from the Warsaw Ghetto." The SS command headquarters were installed here on July 22, 1942 to direct the deportation operation from the ghetto, called Befehlstelle Sipo. A prison and execution ground was here. During the Uprising, on April 23, 1943, a group from the Jewish Military Union (ŻZW), under the command of Natan Szulc, tried to break out the prisoners. The operation was not a success and the whole group was killed.
The plaque at Żelazna str.